DMWS provides practical and emotional welfare support to military personnel, veterans, their registered dependants and entitled civilians while they are in hospital, rehabilitation or recovery centres. Referrals can be made to our North Wales Welfare Team from services, organisations, hospitals, military units or the individual can contact our team directly. Contact our Area Office on 01244 650 929 or our North Wales DMWS Welfare Officer on 07584 684 677.
The DMWS is a voluntary organisation formed by the Red Cross and St John’s Ambulance in 1943. Through our teams of Welfare Officers we provide 24/7 medical welfare service to service personnel and their families, including reservists and veterans, when they are in hospital, hospice, rehabilitation or recovery. We work across all three services in the UK, Germany and Cyprus, and are the only organisation to work on the front line, currently having a team opf officers in Camp Bastion, Afghanistan.
We have expert knowledge and understanding of the armed forces and their specific needs when in hospital and rehabilitation, whether due to injury, illness or planned care. We:-
- Provide welfare support in hospitals through ward visits;
- Liaise with medical and unit welfare staff;
- Provide emergency Troop Aid grab bags;
- Organise transport and accommodation;
- Accompany families to critical care units;
- Assist and support in the event of death or bereavement;
- Support the terminally ill;
- Provide a listening ear service for service personnel, families and medical staff;
- Refer and signpost to other organisations; and
- Support the transition into other services post discharge from hospital, rehabilitation or recovery units.