Home-Start is a national voluntary organisation offering informal, friendly support to parents with at least one child under the age of five.We help to increase the confidence and independence of families by visiting families in their own homes to offer support, friendship and practical assistance.
- Reassure parents that their childcare problems are not unusual or unique.
- Encourage parents’ strengths and emotional well-being for the ultimate benefit of their children.
- Try to get the fun back into family life.
- Our volunteers, who have parenting experience themselves, can offer precious time for listening and talking.
- A break for parents and practical help and reassurance.
- A chance to meet other parents in similar situations.
- Support for use local services and resources.
Parents ask for Home-Start’s help for all sorts of reasons:
- They may feel isolated in their community, have no family nearby and be struggling to make friends.
- They may be finding it hard to cope because of their own or a child’s physical or mental illness.
- They may have been hit hard by the death of a loved one.
- They may be really struggling with the emotional and physical demands of having twins or triplets – perhaps born into an already large family.
- Our quality is maintained across the country with all Home-Start schemes working to national standards.
- Our sister organisation, Home-Start International, was founded in 1998 to provide similar informal, friendly, family support across the world.
Home-Start can offer advice on entitlement to benefits, income maximisation and help with basic budgeting. They offer benefit checks by utilising the Turn2Us website.